Saturday, April 19, 2008

Trips to the hospital...


Well, it's been a while since my last post. A lot has happened. The morning sickness hasn't gone away. I was told by a lot of people that it would go away by the 14th to 15th week, but I guess I'm just special or something. I think it got a little worse. Paul had to take me to the ER to get IV fluids. I wasn't keeping anything down and feeling pretty lousy. They gave me three liters of fluids, did some blood tests, and an ultrasound. The babies were fine. They were moving a lot and the fluid looked good for them. I was just having problems. So, for the next couple of days I was feeling a lot better. I stayed home from class (not that different from prior weeks) to make sure I got enough fluids and ate. However, by that Thursday I wasn't keeping anything down and started to get some muscle cramps. Our doctor set us up with the infusion clinic at the hospital and HomeHealth. They taught us how to "plug" me in to my fluids at home. Paul is a very good nurse. I have an IV line in my arm all the time and I have to get one liter of fluids a day. The bag also has vitamins and medicine so I can keep the food I eat down. It's been working pretty good. I have had a few bouts of vomiting, but once a day is a lot better than 12 times a day!
The IV isn't so bad. It's wrapped pretty good so I won't get the cord caught on things. I have to get it changed every three to four days. I now know who I can let put the IV in and who to avoid. I got a new person a few days ago who broke some serious blood vessels in my right arm. I had to come back in to get a new one an hour after because it was so sore. They had another woman come over. She was able to get it in my left arm. With all the needle pokes and bruising, I look like I am a user! It's pretty bad.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Maybe 20 weeks is your number. But if not, we're glad to know Paul is taking good care of you. You and our little cousins are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you guys!