Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Rah, Rah, Rah for Rocket!

When I decided that I was going to make a cake for the twins, I googled for the Rocket Cake. I thought it'd be fun to have something that they would recognize. I came across a few blogs that had the cake, but nobody really showed pictures or steps on how to make it. Maybe it's because it's super easy for them, and I stressed out about it not looking the way the picture did. I decided that I would take some pictures of the process so that maybe somebody as non-crafty as I am would be able to make the cake (even better). I had a lot of help from a creative husband. My cake wasn't perfect, but it somewhat resembled Rocket...!

I used a large, round pan for the bottom. It took two cake mixes. I baked it for 50 mins.
I used a football shaped pan for the dome top. It only took one cake mix and about an hour to cake. (sorry no picture, I was getting ready for church while it was baking) Since we're non-chocolate eaters, we used FunFetti, but any cake mix works.

Paul, being the engineer that he is, carved the cakes into rocket-shapes.

We put it on a large cutting board because it didn't fit under my cake holder.

You can see how he slanted the front of the football and shortened the back of the round piece.

Paul did the blue, while I mixed the red frosting. I used non-tasting red food dye. It's not the super market food coloring, but the high powered stuff you get at Jo Anns. The grocery store stuff doesn't get white frosting red enough.

We used some of the left-over ends for the engine part of Rocket on the back and just covered them with frosting.

We made a little yellow frosting for the lights, and frosting bag and tip for the window pane.

There's Rocket! Maybe for Ewan we'll just make a nice football or something.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I have absolutely no idea who Rocket is, but your cake turned out cute!

Bryce and Kathleen said...

yeah, i think the cake looked amazing! maybe we'll have to try something like it for spencers birthday!